Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

Post-secondary options?

I want to be a film/tv actress. I got into a conservatory acting program that accepts only 24, it was my dream program, and I’m very proud of that, and everyone I know is telling me to go for it, but something is stopping me from committing. I also got into a more business-y program at a school right in Toronto, which…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

We Talk Funny in Burbank, CA

Hello everybody! If any of you are located in the Los Angeles, CA area - you won't want to miss this! **We Talk Funny** is the popular all-voiceover comedy show that takes place on the first Monday of each month at Flappers Comedy Club in Burbank, CA - featuring comedy, improv, music and more from some of the biggest v…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

I'm not sure if I'm meant for this. (rant)

I don't want to give up but I've taken lessons, challenged myself, worked hard on monologues and scenes with different actors for a few years now and I never book anything. I live in the southeast region, with a fair amount of work circulating but every time I audition for regional theatre, my university theatre, stude…

Reddit

Reddit · 29 Apr 2019

How do you deal, and or, how have you dealt with friends who aren’t supportive of your love for your craft, which is acting? (Warning, long post...)

Long time lurker here. Throwaway.. Or maybe I’ll use this account in the future and just delete this post..... I’m feeling quite down because of something in the past, I’m a 19 year old girl who has a passion for film and acting, though, I don’t have the confidence to ever pursue it because of fear of not being even re…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Apr 2019

Eye Focus Exercises

First time on the subreddit. Looked at all the rules and stuff but still not sure if this is allowed. Apologies if it isn’t. I’m a singer primarily as well as a decent actor. My only issue is, when I’m singing, my eye focus seems to be all over the place, and it seems to completely take away from everything about my pe…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Apr 2019

My parents don’t believe in me

“You can never stay at a job” that’s because I need something more! “Just choose a major already” maybe college isn’t for me! “Millions of people just like you have the same dream” and what if we actually make it?! I just wish for once my parents could say “I know how much you love your favorite movies/tv shows, the on…

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Apr 2019

Headshot photographer here! Need Actors opinion on the headshots I take.

I hope this is okay to post/ask. These are a few of the headshots I have taken https://imgur.com/a/p0w5KYa Was hoping to get opinions from actors, is this style good? how much would you pay for a headshot session? I’m trying to price myself correctly. Thank you!!

Reddit

Reddit · 28 Apr 2019

Agencies in UK?

Hi everyone. I've posted here before asking how it is for an international actor to work in the US and obviously that's quite a leap and requires a lot of work and you know, you need a Visa and all that. But I wanted to ask about the UK and other countries in Europe....I recently googled and found a lot of casting agen…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2019

Are All Successful Actors Members of a Union?

I’ve never really been able to find out what actors are and aren’t members of an acting union. I want to be an actor, but I am unsure about if you can still achieve good parts in big budget movies and shows without the union or if you have to be a member... can someone help me understand?

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2019

Working For Free and Making Work

Hi /r/acting, Long time lurker, first time poster - with a throwaway, no less. ​ I abhor the idea of professional actors working for free, or even working for the often insulting "stipends" offered by all but the top tier gigs. ​ I've twice now produced, directed and performed in very small shows - one in…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2019

Just signed with my first "big" agent, and have some questions!

So I just signed with one of the best agents in Atlanta! (or so I think). Anyway, I'm very green to say the least. I don't have a single film credit. All I have on my resume are some student films and the theater classes I've taken in college. What are some things I need to keep in mind so I don't sound like a total am…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2019

Media Concept: Personal Stories?

I had this idea for a form of storytelling, like an improved audiobook. Think back to the Golden Age of radio, everything was done through voice actors, music and sound effects. What if a story was made where the listener was the main character, and every supporting role spoke directly to them, the silent hero. They wo…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2019

Posting Monologues on Social Media?

Hey all, So a discussion came up in a class recently - how visual artists, dancers, and singers all post covers or videos on their various social media pages, but we rarely see actors posting their art. I understand posting maybe reel footage or something, but do you guys think it's bad practice or too... self-congratu…

Reddit

Reddit · 27 Apr 2019

Actor site domain names

Do you seem green if your acting website is a .org or .net as opposed to .com? The .com version of my name is taken and I'd rather not change the name part by adding a number or dash or whatever. I'd rather just make it a .net or .org. Any thoughts on this?

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2019

Conservatory vs University

Which is better? Conservatory program or University program? I am not too familiar with the different classes available but my research into the training of notable actors most of them trained at some school and then probably continued their training after graduating. I've already graduated college back in 2014 but I d…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2019

What Do You Consider Successful Voice Acti g?

I am very grateful to have received semi-regular voiceovers the last four years (1 per month on average) and this year that number has increased. Which is wonderful! But it got me thinking about what is considered a “successful” voice actor? It’s hard to gauge when I audition for far more than I get booked for. What is…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2019

Best way to get exposure?

I live in a pretty small town with about 40,000 people. The only place near me that has anything to do with acting is a theater 40 minutes away from my building. I'm thinking about trying to get a job as an actor there but the pay isn't too good and I don't think I'll get much exposure to move up the industry ladder. S…

Reddit

Reddit · 26 Apr 2019

Thoughts on foundation courses?

What are your thoughts on foundation courses? My sister (18) wants to become an actress. Shes been the lead of many shows in her local community stage group. She passed her acting courses at college/6th form (UK) with flying colours. She's a really talented individual. Recently, she's been doing auditions for drama sch…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - Apr 25

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2019

Question about Casting Directors

I always see publications and lists of agents and managers for actors, and that makes sense to me, as an actor needs that information in one place to help find representation. But why would an actor need to know/reach out to casting directors? I see lists of CD's as well and I wonder how that could be used as a resourc…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2019

Interview with Background Actor Tim Blewitt

Hi all, I run a podcast entitled "The Chase with Daniel Ocho" where I sit down and talk to people chasing their dream jobs in fields where success is highly elusive. This week I was joined by Tim Blewitt, an LA Actor who has worked as a background actor in dozens of movies and television shows. We talk about how one ge…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2019

Casting Director Workshops - how to build relationships?

So I hand over my life savings to do these workshops - I generally perform pretty well in them and get great feedback. If a CD happens to be casting something that's good for me that week, I'll get called in, which has only really happened a handful of times. Otherwise, a few weeks go by, they forget me, and I never he…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2019

Practical Motivation to get back to it.

Hi there, I need some help, not for me actually, but for my girlfriend. She's a very talented actress, beautiful woman and has received formal training to become an actress. However, since the baby (4 years back) she has completely abandoned her dream of an acting career. Of course this is understandable, she wanted to…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Apr 2019

Top Boutique Agency Meeting :) Should I prepare a scene or monologue?

Hello all! I am so ecstatic that I FINALLY scored a meeting with one of the top boutiuqe agencies in Los Angeles for theatrical work. They told me to come prepared with a scene or monologue, my question is what do you think is best? ​ I feel like monologues wont really show my range, and a scene is better. But I…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2019

The headshot posts I'd like to see here

Imagine a world where actors post headshot feedback requests here, and they have professional photos and they knew exactly what their casting is when they went in for that professional session. Then they post a handful of pics for each type and say "hey, I'm going for girl next door/cold-hearted corporate overlord/ecce…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2019

LA or New York

So i've been wondering.. i'll be moving to the US (we're talking about film acting) but i have no idea which city is better in terms of opportunities. Is NY being too expensive the reason why every aspiring actor goes to LA or it's simply because the chances of succeeding are better in LA (in terms of more opportunitie…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2019

Taking agencies outside of major cities—yay or nay?

I’ve been steady working as an actor by myself for about 5 years, supplementing my income so to speak. Resume is bulked, filled the entire back page of my headshot, the time has come for me to seek representation. Now I’ve applied to maybe less than 15 or so agencies in NYC, I could absolutely be doing more for represe…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2019

Website for casting calls?

I'm trying to get more experience to become an actor and a lot of these sites want you to pay Should I use the site that need you to pay or are there any other sites I could use? I'm 6ft1.

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2019

[PAID] Seeking Voice Lines for Tiny Animation

​ I'm looking for two voice actors to do just a voice line or two for my characters (male and female). The male has a slightly nasally voice and I relate his voice somewhat to Gerard Way or BedBananas on YouTube. Here's what those two sound like. I imagine my character sounding similar to them-- if it helps, he…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Apr 2019

Do you put current projects on your resume?

This is something I've had discussions with my colleagues about often, and I've heard many different opinions on it even from very seasoned actors. Do you include a project that's currently filming or in the rehearsal process on your resume, when you're submitting for shows or films that will occur after your current p…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

Voice acting advice

Basically to keep it simple. I want to be a voice actor(or at least theatre). Its something ive been wanting to do since i was young but im in my 20s now and stuck at a job i hate. I figured that now i should try to finally get off my ass and do something about it. Basically im here needing advice. Where should i start…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

Self-tape basics

I've worn a lot of hats over the years. I've acted on stage (a lot) and in movies (a few). I've produced, directed, written, production managed and stage managed plays, and I do script development for film. Now, for the first time, I am helping to cast a feature. I have seen a lot of self-tapes. And some of the simple…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

Best private coaches both in person for NYC/DC area and online?

Hello all, I am looking for some private coaching and would prefer to travel on weekends if necessary in person to NYC, or DC areas but if there is some good coaches online in LA that actually are developing actors then please mention all you know. Thank you.

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

Actors have become too accessible nowadays!

Just watching some old interviews from the 70s and 80s and I'm astounded by how articulate and respectable actors were back then, I'm talking about those one on one interviews without an audience, very quiet and mild mannered, really letting the actors breathe and express themselves, even some talk shows allowed celebr…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

Would a picture like this be considered a headshot?

This is not me, she's a model from Instagram but I was wondering if a picture like this (taken on an iPhone with flash in front of a white wall) would be good enough to be considered headshot. I was just wondering because I'm a beginner actress and I don't have anyone to take headshots nor can I afford them, and obviou…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

What direction to take for university

If you ever have the time to read all this, I would LOVE some opinions because I am so absolutely torn on what to do for university. I’m a canadian who wants to be a working actor basically trying to pick between 2 programs, creative industries at Ryerson (about more of the business side of film, fashion, theatre, etc)…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Apr 2019

Beginner one on one voice acting coach recommendations?

I’ve never had any training nor done any work as a voice actor but I’m eager to start! I’d like to find a one on one coach to help me get my career started. Classrooms haven’t ever been my thing, I learn well in personal coaching environments. I’m hoping my classroom issues/fears will get better as I get more comfortab…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2019

Curious if anyone uses Casting Frontier?

For anything at all? Someone in Chicago made actors there join it years ago for some reason but it seems to be irrelevant now. Anyone using it, and if so, what for?

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2019

A very quick survey that is very important for me.

Hello everyone. I understand it is a bit late but I just wanted to throw it out here. I have created a survey with very simple 10 questions which should not take more than 5-10 minutes to complete. It is 100% anonymous and I will greatly appreciate it if you took the time to answer the questions. I am doing a 3000 thou…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Apr 2019

Fitness shot for actors?

So, within the last year, I've gotten into remarkably better shape than I've ever been in, and I'm wondering how to showcase this. Do any fit actors out there make a point of having a headshot that showcases a little more physique, or scenes in your demo that show it off a little? ​ I am 27F, and mostly go out f…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Apr 2019

Headshots/Acting in Brooklyn/NYC Area

I was looking to get some good quality headshots at an affordable rate. I am not an actor but i am contemplating pursuing it but for my own purposes. I would like to have some headshots on hand just in case, for acting gigs or even just for a linked in profile pic. It does not hurt to have them on hand. Idk how the pro…