Acting forums, all in one place

19,653 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 19 May 2019

Business or marketing?

Which one is more....applicable, as it relates to an actors career? I know both are important and solid but is there one that is more beneficial? Just looking for opinions. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer here.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

French Canadian Actor looking for some English pronunciation coaching

Hi, I’m a young actor (got out of the conservatory 8 years ago), been very lucky in my career so far with 16 to 20 productions on my resume, all of them French plays. Now I want to step up my game, as more and more production are coming and all are in english. So I’m looking for an experienced actor who would be willin…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

Do actors have to change their hairstyles?

I wanna be an actor when I grow up but I really want to have long hair. As a male actor, would the people shooting the movie or show make you cut it for some roles or could you keep it?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

RTS Game voice actors!

Hello this Phoenix with Armada Games a new indie game studio attempting to bring the classic RTS games from the 90's back to life! We need a narrator for the beginning scene of the game and will pay $20-$30 if we like what you have sent us! We prefer actors with deeper voices to get a good feel for the violent opening!…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

Single parents that are working actors/actresses, looking to hear about your experience!

Hello everyone! So I recently came across a project that might FINALLY (fingers crossed) give me my first on screen experience/experience as a working actress. My passion—pretty much my entire life—has been to become an actress and it’s always been something I feel most passionate about. I dismissed these dreams after…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

How long should my reel be?

I got 3 projects back recently. I'm gonna splice everything into a reel. How long should it be? I don't want to make it too long or drag it out. I was thinking maybe 1 scene from each project? And should I do straight cuts or a fade between each different scene? I'm good with video editing but I'm not sure what agencie…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

Looking for Chicago area commercial casting director w/comedic focus

Greetings! I'm looking for a Chicago-based commercial casting director who has experience sourcing local non-union comedic actors / comedians. We have options in LA and NY, but really want to make sure we don't miss someone great in the Chicago area! Thanks for your help.

Reddit

Reddit · 18 May 2019

hello i am interested in voice acting

if you are looking for a voice actor for a video that requires a young male i am here to help. I am interested in voice acting and i also want experience with it to

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Any interesting things you've been asked to do at auditions?

Just watched Jack Gleeson's audition for Game of Thrones (the actor who played Joffrey), and he was asked to say the line "My god, it's sunny outside!" as himself and then as a villain, and I thought that was a really cool direction!! (He did an amazing job btw, you guys should check it out on youtube) Have you guys ev…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Does This Actually Work? (SVU - NY)

I feel like this question may be a shot in the dark, but for all the New York Redditers on here... Have you had any success with dropping off your headshot at the Law & Order SVU offices? Johnathan Strauss (Casting Director) has a box outside of his office for actors to drop off their headshots to be considered for upc…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Questionable school play?

I have no idea if this adheres to guidelines but I just thought I'd share because I've been pondering this for a while now. ​ I was just thinking about something I did in a school play before I graduated, and some alarm bell started ringing in my head because it was... not okay? ​ I was in my senior year,…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Any LA based Asian actors/creators interested in meetup?

Hey alllllll! ​ Are there any fellow Asian (South Asian too!) actors & creators out there looking to meet up for coffee? Been wanting to sit down with other Asians in the industry currently in the trenches of Los Angeles to network/talk shop/complain/inspire one another/etc etc with this shift in the industry -…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

industry lingo -- help!

Hey guys, I'm a professional actor, graduated from a very good drama school, rep'd by a great agent, but there's a gap in my knowledge regarding some industry lingo. For some reason this stuff was never covered in drama school. Usually on Spotlight, I'll see something like this regarding payment/agreement and I just ha…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Need Voice Actors for A RTS Game

Hello! This is Phoenix with Armada Games, a new Indie development studio who are working on an RTS game based heavily off the likes of the Elder Scrolls series. To make this game happen we need a voice actor to be the narrator. We will pay $20 for the beginning narration! To learn more about this exciting prospect plea…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Recently did my first scene!

(First of all, English isn't my first language so sorry if there are mistakes or sentences that don't make sense) Hi guys, So, I made a post earlier this year about taking a theater class with no real experience and last week we had to act a small scene with dialogues and a monologue that we chose and worked on for cou…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 May 2019

Looking to connect with working actors in New York City!

Hello! 22F actor looking to connect with actors in NYC! I'm currently based in Los Angeles but I'm originally from NYC, and I'm out here for a short while right now. I'd love to meet up with any other transplants (or locals!), and just make some actor friends– no short film ideas attached! speak soon (:

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Mandy Actors USA... worth it?

I'm already on AA, CastingNetworks, and Backstage. Am I missing anything by not having a premium membership to Mandy? I have an agent, so this would mainly be for self-submit stuff.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Booked a Union Feature Through a Reference!

Hope y'all are ready for a real life story time! ​ I know this actress in Mar Vista that I ran around with when I was staying in Inglewood (now live in North Hollywood.) I opened up to this girl, platonically, even about my quarrels with the cute bartender, and other problems that I was facing at the time. She o…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Can’t remember the name of a actor

Guys I need help. I just had a dream where one male actor appeared and I don’t know his name. He was tall, not the youngest but not old (around 50) and he had greyish curly hair, only on top of his head. I’ve been trying to find him the whole morning but I can’t so I’m trying here. And you might think that it’s Will Fe…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Headshot-Age Range-Character Type Post - May 16

Use this thread to post your headshots for feedback, get info on your age range/type, find good headshot photographers, ask any questions you may have about headshots. If you are posting a DIY headshot for feedback, and not just a snapshot in order to get feedback on your age range/type/etc, it is advised that you do a…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Advice needed

I went for an audition and was lucky enough to meet a casting director kind enough to talk to me for a bit. What he told me was that he sees me getting more of specific restricted roles like a nerd or a pastor. He said I should practice on being good at that as most casting directors will only want me for those kind of…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

NEW YORK CITY: Atlantic Theatre Company EPA... Anyone ever attended??

I am a Non-Union actor hoping to get seen at an upcoming Equity Principal Audition, but the audition is taking place at Atlantic's Studio in Chelsea. Has anyone ever gone to an EPA (either as union or n/u)?? I'm certain it will run smoothly, but being a planner I like to know what to expect.

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

How do you go about finding headshot photographers?

I’m an aspiring actress in NYC, and was wondering if there’s a better way to go about finding a photographer than through Google or Craigslist. I’ve had headshots taken before by photographer friends, but I’m ready to get something more professional (since although my friends are professional photographers, doesn’t mea…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Help for new voice actor

Recently I have been looking for help in both looking for cheap mic to start voice acting and looking if anyone needs a voice actor. I am turning 21 in june, Male, goes by Night (NightSound), and so far I know I sound like Pegasus from yugioh, Pennywise from IT, and good at adjusting my voice ​ I am also in DnD…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 May 2019

Question/Concern on my Agency's Commission

Hey everyone, I'm a non-union actor with a non-union agency in chicago. I did a commercial/product shoot this past March through them. The rate for the project is $1250. We shot it in a studio in Chicago. We were on set longer than anticipated for a total of 10 hours. Today I just received my check from my agent for $9…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2019

Help (info in post)

I need help with my mic, I am a beginner voice actor and instead of my voice being clear, crisp and its sounds like the character is actually saying words. Whenever I speak it sounds like I am outside of the mic, I guess you could say. I don't know how to describe it but, I will link audio recording in comments. Please…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2019

Japanese voice actors?

Hey there, I am an indie animator looking for aspiring voice actors who would be able to deliver lines in Japanese :) ​ The lines are transcribed in English characters, (example: “Oioi, sōn nani ikiri tachi nasan natte. Rēisu ni naru no ka naranai no ka, tada mi ni kita dake sa”) so knowing Japanese isn't a huge…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2019

Cast & Crew for a Proof of Concept in LA

Hello, my name's Daniel and I'm a screenwriter in LA. I'm working on a project in the LA area and am looking for the rest of my cast and crew. It's a short where 2 hitmen go out on a job, only for it to turn out that 1 of them is the job. After it's made, I'm going to be submitting it to festivals, including: the Austi…

Reddit

Reddit · 15 May 2019

Starting off and getting more experience.

I created an actors access page, however I don’t have a demo reel. I know that most casting directors won’t look if they don’t see a reel. What should I do in this situation for just to build more experience and create a reel?

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2019

Got my first positive response from an agent today!

Hey guys. I've been acting for a little over a year and am self taught. I finally did enough student films to make a reel and submitted it to #showreelshareday over on Twitter. This led to an exchange with an agent who said they're interested in me! Personally this is a huge milestone regardless of whether I end up on…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2019

Does anyone have any experience as a touring children's theater actor?

I recently scheduled an audition to be a touring children's theater actor. It tours around elementary schools in my city (or at least close to it). I'm starting to like the idea of it, because for 9 whole months, I'll be an employed actor. My dream has always been to be a regularly employed actor, so it just makes sens…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2019

Is there such thing as a naturally inexpressive face?

Hello! Not into acting here, but today I watched a youtube video making fun of Keanu Reeves having the same expression no matter what and it got me thinking about facial expressions. The first thing that came to my mind was that some people just are unable to show "exaggerated" emotions without looking weird, I mean, I…

Reddit

Reddit · 14 May 2019

What can I (Asian 22 M) do to get work in LA?

Without going into too much of my history, I see myself as an actor. It honestly feels like I don’t want to do anything else. I have some experience from high school and college, but no formal training. There is an acting school next to my home but it is not in LA. I was told that acting schools that are not in the cit…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2019

Where my Actors/Musicians at?

Let's network and see how we can help each other! For instance Im a rapper and producer and am always looking to collaborate with people! Let's start a conversation about marrying acting and music together to create art!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2019

AMA Announcement--Acting conservatory president, Monday 5/13 in the PM hours EST

Hey everyone, we're happy to announce an AMA for tomorrow afternoon, 2 PMish Eastern Standard Time, from the president of an East Coast acting conservatory. He'll be happy to answer all your questions, especially pertaining to training and getting started on the path of an actor. Keep an eye out and get those questions…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2019

MN lessons

Any other actors out there from MN, namely the twin cities area, that know of any good places to get acting lessons? I've been looking for awhile now but I'm a little overwhelmed. Any input would be appreciated!

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2019

Is it true that it's not a good idea for an actor to use Twitter?

I was thinking about a comment a while back that I saw on here that said Twitter's not a good idea for professionals to use (I looked but I can't find the comment). I see plenty of professional actors using Twitter so I was just wondering what you guys thought. I used to use Twitter but I found it to be toxic (I find s…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2019

Survival Job

Starting a new one today and I'm excited but kind of nervous. The pay is great and they have really nice benefits for part time employees such as sick time and vacation time. However, I've worked in the food service industry for so long I'm used to being able to swap shifts and such for auditions and whatnot. My new jo…

Reddit

Reddit · 13 May 2019

Am I too old and unexperienced to start acting?

Hello, my name is Riley Chandler and I have always been interested in acting since I was young. Since I live in a small town I never had the opportunity to be an actor and growing up my family didn’t have the money to send me places to audition. Now I am older and I will be moving to a bigger city with more opportunity…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Searching for Guests for Season 2 of Acting Podcast!

The "It's a Slate of Mind" Podcast is now accepting pitches for guests for Season 2! Our goal is to spark honest, unfiltered conversations within the entertainment industry community about the things we're all thinking but don't talk about enough. We've had actors, directors, coaches, headshot photographers & more on t…

Reddit

Reddit · 12 May 2019

Social networking for actors thread...let's connect online.

There's something like this on this Facebook group I belong to. I looked but didn't find anything similar, however if there is and I've just missed it please direct me to it. I just figure that so much of the indie film world relies upon networking ourselves...it would be good to connect with as many people with simila…