Reddit · 27 Apr 2022
Acting Classes in SF
What acting classes in SF do you recommend for a beginner adult actor?
19,672 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.
Reddit · 27 Apr 2022
What acting classes in SF do you recommend for a beginner adult actor?
Reddit · 27 Apr 2022
I'm living in Thousand Oaks atm, and I'm taking stage combat classes in Burbank, but I'd like to get back into taking regular acting classes as well. However, I'd like to avoid driving to LA as much as I can, since it's really wearing on my gas money. Does anyone know of any classes they'd recommend in areas west of LA…
Reddit · 27 Apr 2022
Hi, I'm looking for some good two-actor-scenes and monologues for a workshop. Ideally something that feels contemporary and hip (doesn't matter when it was actually written). It can be any type of scene (funny, intense, anything), I only care that it is well written and entertaining for others to watch. I realize this…
Reddit · 27 Apr 2022
[Some voice over things I've made](https://voice123.com/voice-actor/lukescoop/editable/demos/luke-meacham-s-voices-pt-1/529487#view?vref=93FM91HS) Still pretty novice at this. Just looking for any constructive criticism people can offer. I'm about two years into this whole thing and I'm about to take an "introduction i…
Reddit · 27 Apr 2022
In order to develop very specific mannerisms for a certain role do actors try to find real world examples to study? How? How do you track down a person with the mannerisms you’re looking for or the emotions of a very specific situation you’re looking for? Thanks very much
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
I literally have no experience in acting, but i want to be an actor, i work as a crew but ive got the role. But i dont have much time, how to get ready? Anything i can do?
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
So to give you a small amount of context, where I live (Australia) we are constantly bombarded with gambling ads. It's fair to say that one in every three ads I encounter are gambling ads due to how much sport and YouTube i watch. Well, my agent sent me through a really fun ad brief. It was to do with sports betting, s…
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
I received my first in-person audition appointment in a long while today thru Actors Access. It was scheduled for next week, I confirmed, etc Went back to check the appointment a few hours later and saw the message “Casting has amended the schedule. This current request is no longer active” Does this mean I got uninvit…
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
Is there any way to stop this from happening?
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
first post here! I’m currently working on my demo reel for voice acting. My agent sent me a few commercial samples to include but i’m also planning on doing two monologues with a lot of character for video game or animation work i’m wondering if it’s ok to just take a monologue from an existing game? i’ve found generic…
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
I apologize if this is a dumb question, I'm new into the acting world. I plan to study other career at college but I still want to be a professional actor if I get to manage my time well. I'm currently on an acting school. Is that level enough or those received from theater are more prioritized? Or is it just the quali…
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
Hi! I'm a college comedian and I came up with the idea that a target of one of my jokes just hauls off and Will Smiths me. (He's actually a member of the group I'm shitting on.) Except, he's not an actor or anything—I'm messing with one of the athletic teams. How do I get him to convincingly slap the shit out of me wit…
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
I absolutely love playing a bad guy, anything from a deep gritty voice, chaotic evil, manic cold and calculating. I have quite the range and I'm up for anything! I have time to do a few projects for free so PM me!
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
Hi all, I’ve been asked to do an interview for an internship working for a major network to potentially work in casting. The internship will be a little over two months so I won’t be working at that job permanently, but I wanted to prepare myself for potential interview questions. The questions I have is that do you th…
Reddit · 26 Apr 2022
I recently got booked and worked as BG in a commercial. I believe this was a Union project, or at least the principal actors were Union. However, I was a Non-Union BG. The producer booked me basically the night before the shoot, so there wasn't much in the way of signing documents. Just an email paper trail of my booki…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
Background info: I'm an international student, and my parents are paying my tuition. My options for US schools are NYU (Tisch- Drama) and Boston U (college of communication). My end goal is to be an actor, although I want a backup plan in case that doesn't work out. NYU tisch has been my dream since I was really young…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
I’ve always been interested and curious about acting but my parents never let be because they never thought it was realistic. Now I’m 21 on my own. Yesterday I took a free trial acting class and I really liked it. We did this commercial practice and it felt right and very natural. Then I saw myself on video and I looke…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
Since my last post here, a lot of you have been very helpful in guiding me. I’ve been looking at different Facebook groups to casting calls for short films and small productions. To be clear, Im not going for money at this point, but experience and networking. I’m finding a lot of casting calls that offer IMDB Credits,…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
Basically, with the pandemic being a dick and my having genetic vulnerabilities that make me nervous even though I'm vaxxed, I don't know that I would be able to attend these lessons in person once the case numbers start going up again in my area. It's been a couple years since I've performed, and I want to get back in…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
(FOR REFERENCE: I'm Canadian so the CD/actor relationship is slightly different than my American friends here) My friend who is unrepresented and starting their career has mentioned they have reached out to casting directors to just have chats with them, get insights into the industry and what they could be doing in th…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
Hi, I submit alot to Actors Access on projects that aren't student films and I assume are more competitive. I have tried to maximize the algorithm by adding slate shots, including a reel, etc. etc. However, I'm wondering how much time plays a factor in whether agents will see it? For example, if its posted at 4PM but I…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
So I am taking an acting class next semester but have also been applying to roles that don't require experience. I have a few questions about some general stuff. \- I know actors need headshots but like how do I know what kind of headshots I should take. The ones I have right now look like mugshots lmao. \- Best way to…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
I had an experience last week on a set where I was frustrated because I couldn't tell how I was doing. All I knew for sure, was that the goals I set for myself were accomplished during each take (which is really all that an actor has control of during a performance). Knowing this, a friend sent this quote to me and I t…
Reddit · 25 Apr 2022
Thank you all so much! I feel like I’m a terrible actress but I also have terrible anxiety so a brutally honest person who will tell me if I suck would be amazing!
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
Hello! I just watched a movie where I thought the acting wasn’t bad nor outstanding good. But in the reviews there are many people remarking the bad acting. (Film: The Utah Cabin Murders). Sure, maybe the acting was bad, but there have been several other movies where people complain about acting where I can’t point out…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
As an actor, does anyone else find themselves being immersed in a show/film, and crying at an amazing performance, but sometimes it’s not just the performance that makes me cry, but the idea of acting in that moment, the idea of reaching into that deep place to bring out such emotions, can make me cry. Does that happen…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
I’m going to lay out my current understanding of the process of becoming “an actor”, please tell me realistic, or far from reality I am. I just signed up/applied for a couple acting agent:agencies, with zero prior experience in acting. I’m expecting that I won’t get an audition for a year or more, and most likely won’t…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
I think a thread of talking about what we all wear to auditions could be a fun way to get to know the range of options depending on field, level, and person. I'll go first: I'm a regional stage actor. My go-to for auditions is black jeans that I can move in, my sneaky nice-looking casual shoes, and either a heather gra…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
I’m doing all I could to make my dreams come true, and I will not stop at anything. I really need & want a girlfriend (I’ve never had one before) and I’ve been trying talking with girls I meet but I haven’t gotten through with any yet. I’m just wondering if I should consider going on Tinder, but also concerned that it…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
Keep going back and forth about wanting to move on from my manager, would love some weighing in! I've been with this manager for 1 year now, I've booked commercially while with them and small theatrical projects I've gotten on my own, but not through the manager yet. Here are the pros and cons. PROS: * Has a good handf…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
I really try not to fall into the trap of my sense of self-worth depending on someone's approval of me, but I can't escape it sometimes. I have a show tomorrow and we had a final rehearsal tonight that some local theatre people came to see, including my first acting coach, who I still work with in his theatre group and…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
Is there a way to figure out how many submissions your agent is submitting you to?
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
I know this is probably common sense for a lot of us. I can't tell you the number of times how often I come across someone's profile including they can do 15-20 accents and it is so far off the mark. I just kinda cringe when I see a lot of folk saying on their profile they can do accents including all manner of Europea…
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
"Our jobs \[as actors\] is not just to create, but to allow the experience to wash over us and be relaxed enough to give in to the responses."
Reddit · 24 Apr 2022
[https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/uae5r0/black\_or\_actors\_of\_color\_what\_are\_your/](https://www.reddit.com/r/acting/comments/uae5r0/black_or_actors_of_color_what_are_your/) Piggybacking off the thread above, and I don't care if this gets downvoted. Some people just need to get real in this business. I've n…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
Hi! I'm taking a zoom class dealing with a specialized aspect of acting from a very famous, and by reputation at least, supposedly very good acting studio. It's the kind of studio every actor with training knows about and recommends for this topic. The problem is the instructor (one of his/her associates--not the big n…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
I’m not the kind of man who tends to socialise! Started writing “I’m not the…” and Paul Simon popped in. Hi I’m quiet a newish actor based in London I have been attending a part time school for little over 2 years now, I’ve taken things slowly deliberately so I could actually try to understand/respect this beautiful ar…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
I’m a Seattle native and I wa thinking about starting acting. I’m someone that really likes tech but think I might have a chance at acting (I’m Middle eastern and I would like to see more people like me on screen). I go UW Bothell and I’m curious if there are any opportunities here in Seattle? For context: I wanna try…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
So I’ve been with this manager (“Anna”) for almost a year. She used to work with another manager who left the company and since then Anna has been very busy and distant. She has a good amount of clients, like around 40. Out of them, she has more than a handful full time working actors and I know she’s very busy with th…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
Hello Fellow Actors! I was wondering what the Film/TV acting scene was like in Seattle currently. Is it still practically non existent? Is there anybody living in the Seattle area that consistently books in Vancouver? Is the drive feasible or a bit much?
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
Personally I find that I have to work not just twice but 1000x harder than nonblack or white actors. I feel that there is no room for mistakes when you’re a poc. I saw nonblack newbie actors make mistakes, and everyone laughed it off. But when I did everyone was silent and I knew that my casting was impacted due to it.…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
I've been working in the entertainment industry since 2013 doing different gigs. I've been working with professional Actors seeing their process, and know all the hard work and hours that go into training and working on set/stage. I admire an actor's drive & passion for the craft. I have colleagues who are now on tv se…
Reddit · 23 Apr 2022
"Our jobs \[as actors\] is not just to create, but to allow the experience to wash over us and be relaxed enough to give in to the responses."
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
Is it possible to move to LA or NY, pay your dues, take classes, and actually get somewhere anymore? Not necessarily being the biggest star ever over night but I mean can somebody who isn’t an influencer or a person without connections, wealth, and nepotism get anywhere substantial this day and age? Can the rags to ric…
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
Like would you be considered less of an actor if that’s what even inspired you to act.
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
I read posts where someone writes "I send about 50 emails per day to various orgs/companies". Fifty. As in five zero. Every day? To whom? And would it be follow up emails, or generic "Hi there, I do voices, any interest in using me for a project?". I can't imagine even LA or NY having that many companies involved in VO…
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
This sub gets bogged down with questions about background work and I think it should have it's own sub. This is not a slight against those who do background work. It is challenging work and essential to tv/filmmaking. But it is not acting, and has nothing to do with the craft. There is almost no practical crossover bet…
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
So, a few weeks ago, I saw a post on one of my state's many acting Facebook groups. It was for a slasher/horror film. Of course, it was a free project and I decided to throw my resume in despite having no care in the world if I got in or not. For a little context, my resume isn't impressive and I've only recently been…
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
As actors, what types of survival jobs do you all have that allow you the flexibility to attend auditions, callbacks, shoots, performances, etc? My current job doesn't allow much of that and I'm looking into finding something better so that I can advance my acting career, but I don't even know where to start.
Reddit · 22 Apr 2022
Hello! My and my friends are making an impro short film and are supposed to begin filming next week. We are looking for any male ages 18-30 who is great with improv and is able to meet for the next four weeks for this film. There will be a film festival hosted at the end of May with our film premiering. Please, if anyo…