Acting forums, all in one place

19,665 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

What would you consider a "Local Hire"

On my Backstage profile I have my location as "New York, NY", on Actors Access I apply for the New York (or surrounding areas) gigs, and when asked, I usually say I'm a New York based actor. Thing is I live in Pennsylvania Now, I've never really given this much thought as I'm always willing to do the drive and never ne…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

VoiceActorWebsites.com or Squarespace?

Has anyone on this board worked with Squarespace on their website and then eventually switched to [VoiceActorWebsites.com](https://VoiceActorWebsites.com)? I'm trying to figure out which one would be better. I haven't received pricing yet from VAW, but Squarespace seems like a pretty good deal. I'm brand new to voice a…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Jul 2022

Would it be taboo for an actor to appear in their own businesses’ online ad?

I’m an actor who is launching a product-based business. I have a few ideas for online ads and think it would be really fun to play one of the characters myself, however, I’m not sure if this would be seen as taboo… or be a conflict in some way. What is the general consensus amongst the community? Is there one?

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2022

Monologue that requires you to cry

Hi, I’m looking for a monologue that involves the actor crying. The monologue must be suitable for a girl under 13 and should be no longer than 3 mins. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2022

To be...or not to be....in a short film after decent credits

I am not famous by any means, wish I were at keanu level or justin level where i can act in something and not give myself credit on imdb but not there yet - i've been doing okay (guest stars, feature film co stars) but this was a rough year with a lot of close calls for major shows on hbo / netflix but no dice - asked…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2022

Can I still get background-acting gigs if I've had a recent Covid infection?

I've been background acting for the last few months (in Los Angeles), and ended up landing a pretty sweet recurring gig. When I caught a case of Omicron, the production told me to go get a PCR test, send them the positive result, and I could return to set 10 days later, so long as the symptoms were gone by that point.…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2022

What can I do to get a head start before lessons?

Hey everyone, I plan to get lessons from September onwards and that’s still some time away, I’ve been reading books on techniques like “A technique on acting” and “An Actors work” also watching masterclasses by Sam L Jackson and Natalie Portman but I still feel like I’m wasting time since I’m not doing anything practic…

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2022

A Question from a Non-Actor about silly lines (out of context)

What was a line you had to deliver that, without context, was absolutely absurd? (Ideally, you may have even struggled to say the line accurately because of how silly/strange the line is, but this is certainly not a requirement.  Any offerings are greatly appreciated

Reddit

Reddit · 20 Jul 2022

Need help speaking (and singing, if possible) from the diaphram.

Hey guys, new guy here. I have scoured the information on the sidebar for a few months now and I am about to be ready to start recording, but I am missing some information. I have seen a lot of people say that it is important to speak from the diaphram. I have looked into it and found plenty of information on diaphrami…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

What can I do in this next decade?

So I am currently a 16 year old tuning 17 in 2 months. I have absolutely no acting experience but plan to take at least one class before I turn 17. I know this all depends on how lucky you can get or whatever, but what can I do in this next decade of acting? Preferably before I turn 30. Will I be cast as the main star…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

what do you wish you were doing right now to help benefit your acting dreams?

I just want to hear what people wish they were doing and if they have any plans for it. Myself, I have about three things that are always on my mind. 1. Making a short film and submitting it to festivals. I swear, there is nothing harder than making something from nothing. Even getting a small team to come together is…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Actors Connection Success Stories

Can you share your experiences with Actors Connection and if you were able to get a callback with an agent, CD or manager?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

wanna do acting

I F15 have a strong desire to start acting/decode an actress. I have questions on how to get into acting. I believe better than never is best but i’m homeschooled so i can’t do theatre at school and there’s no acting opportunities where I live. What would you recommend for me to do/recommend go get into acting

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Should I go to College/Film School to be an actor?

I've alaways wanted to be a professional actor ever since i was 15,but recently,i've been thinking about going to college in Gettysburg to major in Theatre,or Film School in Philadelphia to major in acting,and/or writing. What do you guys think i should do? I'm hoping to go to college/Film School at some point next yea…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

How did you get your theatrical agent?

Hello! So I’ve been working on making myself marketable to agents for the past 3 years, and really thought that I would be a catch with all of the work I put in. I managed to get two commercial agents with referrals from some actors I met on set, but have heard total silence from theatrical agents in New York and Phill…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Doing what scares me, mixing it up...

Hey folks, I took a forced back from my acting class a few months ago (cause ya boy poor as fuck). During this time, I did some soul searching, and I'm considering putting traditional acting classes on the back burner, and finally taking official improv or stand up classes. I've been in acting class pretty consistently…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Acting Agents/Managers

Ok so I need help I’m not local to NY or LA or any of that but I’m a beginning actor and need help I was wondering if an acting manager & agent need to be local please help!

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Weird Teeth Related Question

So I have been watching a lot of B-movies lately and one of the things I am noticing is how perfect and bright white many of the actors' teeth are. Like the character will be a rugged dude who lives in the mountains alone and they will have these perfect gleaming chompers. Actors in A-movies also have nice teeth, but t…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Starting Out

Hi I am 12 years oldand want to become an acotr. I am based in the middle of nowhere (WV) and have 0 experience. I was thinking about taking classes. How can I become an actor without an agent (at least for now) and being based faraway with 0 experience?

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

Acting/Theatre Superstitions

Frankly, I love how superstitious actors can be. Our habits and rituals all tell a great shared history. What are your favorites? What are superstitions/little rituals you think are lesser known, or more local? Got any ghost stories? My favorite popular superstition is to always leave a light on, eg the ghost light. On…

Reddit

Reddit · 19 Jul 2022

How late is an evening shoot?

Hello! I am not an actor whatsoever but a friend from college, who runs a production company, messaged me and my boyfriend about small, non speaking roles in a feature film. We figured why not, and are getting paid! She said it would shoot in the evening, and gave us the date. Now, I don’t know much at all about the fi…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

Advice Needed: International Actress

I’d like to start my acting career but i’m from the caribbean. Any tips on how to get roles abroad? is it necessary that i move?

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

Acting in small States

Hi, I’m a teen actor who lives in Ohio. I have done theatre and chorus but not any on screen acting. I am looking for a way to get an agent, however, I do not live in a main state. Does anyone have any advice for me? Chicago is only 4 hours away, so maybe doing mainly online with an agent is my best bet. Please let me…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

Website works on desktop but gets 404 on mobile

# I was hired to do a redesign of an actor's website (on Weebly which I wouldn't have chosen but it's what it's) and it's working perfectly on desktop and mobile but is getting 404 on mobile. I can design things well from a visual point of view but I'm trash at troubleshooting problems like this. SSL is enabled. Any tr…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

Time to update my shots. Any photog recommendations in L.A. that won't break the bank for 2 looks? I've curated a handful but any suggestions/experiences would help !

If you've had an experience with any of the photogs belows or own a recommendation for a different one, please let me know, thanks! Budget: Preferably $300 or less for at least 2 looks. Ones I've found that seem decent: - [The Light Committee](https://headshots.thelightcommittee.com/actor-los-angeles/) - [Marc Cartwrig…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

Questions from a teenager interested in acting

Hi, I’m a teenager (15) and really interested in acting. I don’t know if I’d be a good actor though, or if it’s even worth trying. I have scars on my arms and thighs and I’m worried that if I tried to audition for anything I will be shamed and pushed aside. Is it worth trying ? Does anyone else have experience with som…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

how to film a dance self tape??

hi! i recently got a message back from the director of a short film about ballet to film an acting and dancing self tape. the problem is-- i'm not sure what should be in my ballet self tape. should i record barre work, center, turns, a combination? actors who are also dancers, please help me out!!

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

New York classes

LA actor here, but looking to go to NYC for a couple months this Fall. I have rep in NY, but my main purpose is to work on the craft a bit. In-person acting classes in LA still don’t seem to exist since COVID- unless you want to get into an entire program. Being cooped up for so long, I feel more in my head that in my…

Reddit

Reddit · 18 Jul 2022

Help..

I want to be an actor but I’m afraid of failing as one and disappointing people who support me. I never told anyone I wanted to be an actor since Im afraid to. I want to be in movies and shows. I want to be part of a cast, I enjoy acting. I just don’t know what to do, I don’t know why I went straight to Reddit. I tried…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2022

Do actors have problems w/ sweating?

I want to be an actor one day but it’s very easy for me to start sweating profusely with any level of activity (genetics thing.. been that way since a kid), and I was wondering if this was possibly a semi-common problem with actors that may get medicated or take supplements for it

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2022

What's the difference between a mingling and an improvising role?

I am applying as a scare actor in an amusement park for the second year. Last year I worked in a haunted house but returners can choose other positions, and two of them are 'mingling role' and 'improvising role'. Both of these are different from the 'haunted house actor' role I had last year and I assume they'll work o…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2022

getting into acting - question about online job sites!

hello! I am getting into acting and was wondering about jobs/gigs on Actors Access, Backstage, LA casting, etc ​ will some companies find me and reach out to me if they like my profile, or do I need to continually submit myself for roles? ​ I get sent lots of "extra" gigs on central casting, but I wasn't…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2022

What’re the odds

I’m just curious to know what are the odds that an actor stars in a leading role in a major role as their first movie ?

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2022

Should I put this in a resume?

So me and my sister were both cast last minute for an over night shoot or a feature film. We were cast as featured extras where we get kicked out of a bar. The only thing is that we were the only “extras” and we are in a scene with the starring actor. He speaks to us and then we leave the scene running, but we are in a…

Reddit

Reddit · 17 Jul 2022

Becoming an actor

Hi, i'm not american but i speak fluent english with a nornal american accent, i'm in my late 20's and it was always the "dream" like many people to become an actor (specifically in america/hollywood etc), now my current job/background academics aren't in acting at all, but i think i can act and i've even wrote before…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2022

Can anyone explain to me how residuals/fees work?

1. So you get money when your film/tv show is sold or screened. Is that everyone, even the extras or just the stars/regulars? 2. Is it forever and does it increase or decrease over time? If the actor dies does their family inherit these payments? 3. As a regular on a show, does your pay automatically increase over time…

Reddit

Reddit · 16 Jul 2022

How much should I charge as an experienced acting coach?

I (22f) am a professional actor who has been acting for over 14 years and teaching for roughly 3 years. I'm currently teaching a few classes at a rate of $25AUD an hour. I've been offered $50 an hour by another institution (with the potential of growth depending on performance) but due to distance it wouldn't be worthw…