Acting forums, all in one place

19,659 posts from Reddit, Stage 32, the Backstage community and Delphi, newest first. Every title links out to the original thread.

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

I need career guidance!

Hi r/acting! I’m an aspiring actor at the age of 17 living in a fairly small city in europe. I took a beginners theatre class from August last year to May this year and I had so much fun. I want to pursue acting and since new projects will be starting any time now I would appreciate some guidance on what I should do. T…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

Is voicescloud.com a good idea?

Hi folks, So I've been doing audiobooks and other voiceacting for over a year now and voicescloud just contacted me on LinkedIn. They say they're increasing their roster and want me to join. I'm trying to find an agent at the moment, and worry that voicescloud is maybe some kind of fiverr type thing devaluing voice act…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

ask my characters about the world.

Hi all, fellow actor here looking to work on my improv and characters I've created. I think having them respond to questions about the world around them could be a good idea to turn into some kind of content similar to Ryan Grorge sketch vibes. So go ahead and ask one of my characters some questions and we'll see what…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

Unemployment CA

Hey all I was encourage to apply for unemployment as an out of work actor, between supplementing freelance work, but I'm getting confused with application the process since acting income doesn't operate the same way other jobs do. My last acting job was in October 2021, a 1 day co star. Aside from that I've receive res…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

Does the age/rapport of an agency change the number auditions given?

PLEASE bare with me. I have 2 questions here. 1) As I’ve posted before, I’m with a boutique agency, with agents that are really cool and we connected well when i signed last November. However, they don’t really seem to care about me? I asked if there’s anything I can do to increase auditions, they said no everything in…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

Repeat Casting?

I'm casting for my second project and have worked with a lot of different actors. A lot of creators, Tim Burton being one example, use the same actors over and over. How does this go for the online voice acting community? Is it disrespectful if I cast a few of the actors I've already worked with? I want to give everyon…

Reddit

Reddit · 25 Aug 2022

is acting scary?

Hi, I've came here to ask a question for actors who have been in productions, is it scary? I really want to act and be in shows/movies/musicals but I'm scared of people sexualizing, and making fun of me. I get really bad anxiety when the thought of doing it comes up. but I really want to since its been an interest of m…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

Longer Afro hair or a buzz cut for Black male actors?

Getting new headshots after 10+ years. Back in the day, I was advised to have shorter hair. Is that still a thing or have times have changed and there’s more flexibility for hair? I’ve noticed that many black male actors have shorter hair—at least from their headshots when they first started out.

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

Are selfies actually used for a lot of “headshots” nowadays?

I was told by a fellow actor who’s been in several notable productions that a lot of the time nowadays, a selfie is asked for when submitting headshots rather than actual, professional headshots, presumably due to COVID. Is this really true?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

Finding the right kind of coaches

Hello all, Just found this sub and it looks like an excellent place to get to know other actors and talent to learn from! I had some fairly general questions to try to figure some things out for vocal training and coaching. So, I'm getting serious about becoming a voice actor and I know I have some specific strengths I…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

URGENT VA NEEDED

Hello amazing actors of Reddit! I have just finished shooting a short film and while in post, we decided we want an additional voice recording of only 3 lines. This film will be entered into our local film festival. If anyone would be down for recording (no professional equipment required) please do message me on here.…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

a question for fellow Toronto actors

Hey guys! I am booking very frequently now, and if it keeps going the way it is, I can see joining ACTRA as a possibility soon. Did you guys wait til you had X credits or relationships built with X amount of cd's? Or did you get your card the moment you were offered the chance. Thanks! For me I have 5 shows, 3 commerci…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

Is it okay to pull out of non-paid work for paid work?

Hey everyone I was recently cast in small community theatre project. I wasn't too psyched about it but yanno it's more experience and more work means more exposure blah blah... But then a few days ago I was approached with some long term, paid work. I want to take the paid work but it may mean having to let down the ot…

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

can a lazy eye ruin my acting career

I want to be an actor later in life but recently my lazy eye has really been taking a toll on my mental health and self relflection so i was wondering can a lazy eye ruin my chances of acting?

Reddit

Reddit · 24 Aug 2022

Audition opportunity :)

Can you cry on demand? Seeking actors and actresses who are able to shed tears in front of a camera. This is a paid gig and production will be done remotely (a lot of the film will consist of various Zoom conversations) so don’t worry about location, though we are based in Houston if anyone is wondering. If you are int…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Opinions on breakdowns with scripts attached for submissions.

Would love to hear everyone’s opinion on this. Mostly just curious… When you see a breakdown posted on Casting Networks, and it has the scene attached, and mentions to submit a self tape of you reading the scene for the audition, do you usually submit to these if you fit the type? These are essentially just open calls,…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Fee for taking part in film festival panel..?

I was asked to take part in a panel discussion at a film festival. I was given details about the festival, the point of the panel, time commitment, and compensation (travel, accommodation etc.) .. but then it ended with asking “what’s your fee?” Uhh I don’t know lol. I legit assumed this would be a volunteer thing all…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

[Hiring] - $300 for commercial use portrait for voice actor website/socials

I am a voice actor looking to have some art commissioned for commercial use on my website and socials to promote myself and my work. I was looking to have a portrait done of myself in the distinctive style of Yusuke Nakamura. Here are some samples I had in mind: [https://imgur.com/jqOITJ3](https://imgur.com/jqOITJ3) [h…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Starting to Feel More Confident/Feeling Like Good Things Are Coming

Honestly this is just a ramble post so. I feel like Los Angeles in general is this BIG mental health tapeworm for newer actors, or maybe that’s just me. But I’ve been off and on depressed for the past year and a half that I’ve lived here and been very discouraged about acting since I majored in BFA theatre instead of f…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Should I Join SAG At This Point in my Career?

Hi there, I've been living in Los Angeles since January of this year and I've been working consistently as a background performer. I expected a much slower start to my career, but have found myself able to sustain myself fairly well combining this with a few other side-hustles. Yesterday, I got my last SAG Voucher and…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Voice (Vocal) Technique for Lack of Volume, Shallow Vocal Tone and Color

I have heard of at least 10 or more names of voice or vocal techniques available for actors. I have pretty soft voice along with shallow vocal tone and color and the inability to go high on pitch. What would be the right technique for me? I have tried Lessac and it was a great technique to add nice definition and detai…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Why is my Recording skills are inconsistent??

I just record for my youtube videos but since i thought it might be something that a voice actor go through i asked here, the thing is some days when i wanna read through the script it's like my mind isn't even working, i can't even read right like i can't even focus on one sentence and that's when i say maybe i'm too…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Slateshots on Actor’s Access

I have a reel and headshots. I read in the search bar that you need to have Slateshots to push you towards the top. Do you need slateshots attached to all the headshots you submit with? Do you need new Slateshots when you update your headshots?

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Worth becoming actor still?

I am an aspiring actor and my end goal is to break into Hollywood. I love acting so much. I genuinely can't wait to finish school to fully focus on this. But lately I've been seeing g a lot of posts that Hollywood and entertainment has gone "woke" and "dying" and that gives me a lot of anxiety seeing this stuff. I am a…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Memorizing Lines - Long Term Memory Techniques

Hey! I just wanted to assist all actors who use this subreddit for guidance somewhat. It can be difficult to master one's long-term memory when memorizing a piece of material, especially an up to 120 pages screen or stageplay in usually one to two weeks before production or rehearsal. I just wanted to give you all idea…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Working on self-tapes but struggling with showing emotion- help?

I've recently wanted to start acting again (I did it when I was younger) and have started practicing lines for self-tapes to post on instagram. One particular scene i'm doing [(here)](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXjgfXZbnr0&ab_channel=MyMadFatDiaryFan) contains the character crying/breaking down. I really want to r…

Reddit

Reddit · 23 Aug 2022

Acting Class or go to Acting School

Hello everyone, this is my first time making a reddit post so I apologize in advance if I do this wrong. My question for all you actors right now did you benefit from going to school for acting and getting a degree or instead take the approach of going to Acting Classes outside of College and go from there. Which as an…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

You are so lucky...

I have been acting or trying to act for more than 10 years. I have tried to move to LA full time but the price of rent and general cost of living has been a huge obstacle for me. The rental scams in the city are insane! I have tried cold emailing agents for years and have commercial experience but have only received on…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

Aspiring and working actors - how much effort into your appearance do you put in.

I'm 36 and new to acting - I'm self-conscious about my skin and my figure and I was wondering if everyone else puts quite a bit of effort in being film/tv friendly, appearance-wise. Do you have a strict regime or just let it slide. I'm not against improving myself, I just want to know how much energy others devote. Tha…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

How do actors have interesting things to share on interviews/talk shows?

I'm not sure if this is allowed here as I suppose only questions related to acting itself should be in this sub, but I don't know where else I might get answers,so. Please let me know if there is else where for such question. So, the question: I always observed that all most all actors, everybody has gor something fun/…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

20 tapes and nothing booked

Hey guys! I signed with my agent about 10 months ago. Had about 20-25 tapes for different things with them. Nothing booked. Been pencilled three times and had one good feedback. I started to hate doing tapes. I don’t know… the worst thing is that people tell me I’m a great actor. I’d rather be shitty and not getting jo…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

UK vs US/Canada for opportunities?

Looking for people from UK and North America to drop their thoughts below: I'm 21yo based in Republic of Ireland and the work and opportunities is very limited here despite american productions shooting here. Most tv shows that shoot here end up hiring British trained actors for main roles anyway. I wanted to ask if an…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

Struggling with self-belief. It feels different. Lost & hopeless.

I don't look at Reddit often, but if I see them I read posts like this because I want advice, too, but I still feel lost for myself specifically. People that are experienced at this, what have you experienced or seen from others? I struggle communicating quite a lot. I've been practicing a lot over the years by going o…

Reddit

Reddit · 22 Aug 2022

Is not going to acting school straight out of High School a good call?

I'm (17M) currently a senior in hs and while researching how to get break into acting, I stumbled across someone making a somewhat convincing argument that one shouldn't go to acting school right after college. To sum up what was said, the dude explained that going acting school right when you're 18 is missed opportuni…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Aug 2022

Do you have favourite voice actors?

I do: Peter Cullen - most known for Optimus Prime in “Transformers” Richard Waugh - most known for Albert Wesker in “Resident Evil”

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Aug 2022

Any actors that have played zombies…

I am playing a character in a film who eventually turns into a zombie. For those who have done something similar, what did your process entail? Zombies are supposed to be brain dead, but I don’t necessarily want to be dead in my brain, you know?

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Aug 2022

We are looking for a male voice [Paid]

We are looking for a male voice over actor who is middle-aged and has a deep and suspenseful tonality. Please check some example channels below to get a better idea of what we are looking for: [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PXmBOuMhGTskIJq1Wlxdg](https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-PXmBOuMhGTskIJq1Wlxdg) [https://w…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Aug 2022

Looking for a voice actor [Paid]

**A nerdy, down-on-her-luck Supergirl fan and cosplayer has an unfortunate accidental run-in with some aliens en route to a Halloween party. After a tough night at the party, she leaves, only to be involved in a car accident. She is discovered by aliens, however, and, recognizing her costume and knowing the superpowers…

Reddit

Reddit · 21 Aug 2022

Take the role?

Just asking if things seem strange or not? A writer/director was going to meet me to discuss a role over dinner. We had been trying to arrange to meet for a while to discuss his scene. The day before, he messages to ak me if I want to sign up for a 20 dollar acting workshop hosted by his renowned friend a method actor.…